Wike Orders Immediate Demolition of Buildings Blocking Waterways in Abuja Amid Flooding
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of houses and other structures found to be obstructing waterways and drainage channels in Maitama and other flood-prone parts of Abuja.
Wike issued the directive on Tuesday after inspecting areas of Maitama affected by flooding following several days of heavy rainfall in the Federal Capital Territory.
The minister directed that the demolition exercise should begin immediately and continue until Saturday, insisting that political affiliations, influence or the status of property owners would not prevent the enforcement of the directive.
Wike said structures obstructing waterways and drainage channels must be removed to allow stormwater to flow freely and address the factors contributing to recurring flooding across Abuja.
The directive followed torrential rainfall that submerged several parts of the nation’s capital, leaving some residents stranded and vehicles trapped in floodwaters.
Lere Olayinka, media aide to the FCT minister, confirmed the commencement of the demolition exercise in a statement issued on Tuesday.
“Demolition operations have commenced in Maitama, Abuja, following the directive by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, to remove buildings obstructing waterways across the FCT,” Olayinka said.
He added that Wike had directed that structures discovered on water channels be demolished between Tuesday and Saturday as part of measures to tackle flooding and restore the effectiveness of the city’s drainage systems.
The minister’s order came amid concerns over alleged alterations to drainage channels and green areas in Maitama Extension, where floodwaters reportedly submerged several properties during the heavy downpour.
Residents alleged that a major canal previously used as a natural pathway for stormwater had been covered to facilitate construction activities.
According to the residents, several duplexes were subsequently constructed around the affected area, increasing the vulnerability of neighbouring properties whenever Abuja experiences heavy rainfall.
Among the properties reportedly affected by the flooding were the residence of Kano State Deputy Governor, Murtala Garo, and that of a former Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Ehigiator Arase.
One resident alleged that about 14 duplexes had been built on what residents identified as a former green area and canal corridor.
“They covered a very big canal. And this is the result,” the resident said while pointing to the floodwaters that spread across the neighbourhood.
Another resident raised concerns about the danger posed by the flooding to families living in the area, saying, “It is putting our family in danger.”
“We are just heartbroken,” another affected resident added.
Meanwhile, FCT Senator Ireti Kingibe has attributed the renewed flooding in Abuja to ongoing construction and development activities on green spaces, flood channels, gullies and floodplains under the administration of Wike.
Kingibe said such developments had obstructed natural waterways and drainage channels, leaving rainwater with fewer outlets during periods of intense rainfall.
The senator, who spoke on ARISE NEWS on Monday, criticised what she described as a departure from the original master plan of Abuja.
Also Read: Wike Named in Alleged Coup Plot as Potential Financier, Court Records Show
According to Kingibe, she had repeatedly raised concerns with relevant FCT agencies over construction activities taking place in areas designated as drainage corridors, green spaces and other environmentally sensitive locations.
“Absolutely. Some of the developments sanctioned by the current FCT administration are indeed heightening the flood risk in Abuja,” Kingibe said.


