Peter Obi Dismisses Goodluck Jonathan 2027 Threat After NDC Presidential Screening in Abuja
Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, on Tuesday dismissed speculations suggesting that former President Goodluck Jonathan could threaten his 2027 presidential ambition.
The former Labour Party presidential candidate made the remarks after participating in the presidential screening exercise organised by the Nigeria Democratic Congress at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja, a process PulseNets learnt lasted for more than two hours.
Reacting to reports linking Jonathan with a possible 2027 presidential bid under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, Obi said he was unbothered by who may eventually join the race.
“Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for,” he said.
“I’m not in any way going around looking for who and who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria.”
Obi maintained that his major focus remains national unity, security, economic revival and the fight against corruption in Nigeria.
“We have to unite the country because it is not united. Nigeria must be governed according to the constitution, which emphasises federal character and inclusiveness. The country must be secure,” Obi stated.
“We want a Nigeria where mothers no longer fear when their children go to school or work, and where people can travel freely across the country without fear.”
Speaking further on the screening exercise, Obi described the process as “democracy in action,” noting that the exercise demonstrated the party’s commitment to accountability and due process.
“This is democracy in action because the NDC chooses to do things properly. Nigerians deserve to know whether aspirants meet the constitutional requirements and can defend their claims and commitments to building a united, secure and prosperous nation,” he added.
The former Anambra governor also dismissed reports claiming he had already emerged as the party’s consensus presidential candidate following alleged consultations with party stakeholders.
“The party has only opened the expression of interest and nomination forms. There is no consensus yet,” he said.
Obi further decried the worsening poverty and insecurity across Nigeria, stressing that millions of citizens continue to struggle daily for survival.
“So many Nigerians go to bed not knowing where their next meal will come from. That must change,” he said.
“We must build a country where public wealth is not converted into private wealth. Corruption must be tackled decisively for the benefit of all Nigerians.”
The former governor also criticised Nigerian politicians for prioritising election calculations ahead of governance and public welfare.
“Politicians are too preoccupied with the next election while Nigerians are suffering. That must stop,” he added.
PulseNets reported that Obi arrived at the NDC national secretariat in Abuja at about 6:45pm for the screening exercise amid growing political speculation that he remains the leading contender for the party’s 2027 presidential ticket.
Dressed in his signature black kaftan and cap, Obi arrived shortly after the chairman of the screening committee, Sam Egwu, entered the venue.
Also Read: Peter Obi: No faction in NDC as Dickson mocks PDP, ADC, others ahead of 2027 election
He was accompanied by Senator Victor Umeh.
The NDC had earlier announced the appointment of Egwu as chairman of its 17-member screening committee for presidential, governorship, senatorial and House of Representatives aspirants.
Other members of the panel include Buba Galadima, Ikeddy Isiguzo, Wole Adedayo, Udenta Udenta and Henry Obaze.


